Monday, February 16, 2009

Do You Test or Shoot Up When You're Out and About?

So, Mike asked in this week's episode of the SweetTalk podcast if we've ever tested in a funny or odd place. Since I am not on insulin, and only need to test or shoot up before or after a meal, I haven't had too many of those experiences yet.

But I recently contributed to a discussion over at tudiabetes.com saying I wish we weren't relegated to going to the bathroom to test or shoot up, which I often do, depending on where I'm at or with whom I'm with. People really got upset and told me how dirty bathrooms are. But I have had 1) stares, and 2) people tell me it grosses them out, and 3) people tell me I'm obsessed with diabetes, and 4) do I have to do that here?

So...again, depending on the circumstances, just to avoid the hassle, I find myself spreading my junk on top of the toilet paper dispensers, ever so carefully, so I don't touch anything, and doing it there.

Sometimes, it ticks me off, sometimes, I don't care. Sometimes, I'm too lazy to get my meter out and do it at a time when I really should (like this instance - where I really should have tested during the play, but lack of light, and um, sitting on top of others really discouraged me from doing it right then and there).

I'm sure you all know how I feel. Sometimes, I'm proud to test and/or shoot up, and either advocate for myself, and educate others, and sometimes, I just wanna get off this merri-go-round that day.

In any case, I am sharing with you testing tonight during my Valentine's Day Dinner and date with my husband, who does a great impression of the Diabetes Police during this vlog.

3 comments:

  1. see noone even notices... you are just s elf conscience. i did the same thing the other day in a vlog series i am doing but noone noticed that i checked

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous8:45 PM

    I know it's kinda frustrating that I couldn't capture what people usually say. I should hide the cam better. Only a few strangers have said anything, but my friends get all grossed out or call major attention to it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never test or shoot up in public. I always do it in the car before I go in. I can do it in my office because I am always by myself. If my boss happened to be there, I would just go into the conference room and close the door. I don't know if I am ashamed or if I just don't want to deal with the curiosity or whatever. Good vlog! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting! Because we don't want spam or hurtful comments, your comments are moderated! Check back shortly to see when they are approved. Remember, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all! :-)